Double Wars is a week-long SCA camping event held in May in Southern Sweden. This year is the 30th anniversary, and DW holds a special place in my heart, as it was the first Drachenwald event I attended after moving to Europe 21 years ago. I have friendships made at that event that have lasted, and every time I attend, I make new friends.
That first trip was via train, starting in Narvik, up over Kiruna, then down the length of Sweden. This year I’ll fly down to Copenhagen and catch a local train up to Skåne. Flying saves time, but will also create constraints on how much kit I can take. Clothing, of course, but also bedding, eating equipment and all the other little things that will make 10 days in the Modern Middle Ages enjoyable. And I must remember to take plenty of green to support the Flat Side in the Knäckebröd War!
This first phase of planning is great fun, but easy to get carried away by possibilities. So this year is the War on UFOs (UnFinished Objects). As best possible, I will only use materials from my stash and equipment I already own. A preliminary dive has already given me one Herjolfsnes dress that is nearly finished, and another that just needs new sleeves.
To keep me on track, I am using the following constraints:
- Everything must fit within my baggage allowance of 2 suitcases (23 kg), plus allowable carry-on.
- Items will be created with materials and/or tools in my stash. Supplemental purchases will be kept to a minimum.
- Goal is focus on 13th-14th C, preferably Norwegian/Norse.
- Effort will also be made to enhance the ambiance of the sleeping quarters/other activities.
- Any weaving sources fiber from the stash only.
Let the War on UFOs begin!